You are here

Man chopped to death during fight over woman

Thursday, April 9, 2015

A 62-year-old man was killed during an argument with a 58-year-old relative at their La Horquetta home yesterday. Stephen Vialva’s relative is now under police guard at hospital after being taken there for treatment. According to police, around 4.30 am yesterday, Vialva was at his Aldwyn Roberts Crescent, Phase 3, home when he and the suspect began arguing over the way a female relative was being looked after. 

Vialva, police said, attacked the suspect with a hammer and the suspect defended himself with a cutlass. The two fought for some time and were still fighting when police arrived about an hour later. Police said they found the suspect holding on to Vialva and both men were bleeding from injuries to their heads and upper bodies. Vialva died on the scene while the suspect was taken for medical treatment. 

Relatives of the deceased did not want to speak with reporters when approached at the Forensic Science Centre, St James, yesterday. Police yesterday said based on their investigations, the suspect might not be charged with murder as it looked like a case of self-defence. Cpl Manswell of the La Horquetta Police Station is continuing investigations. In an unrelated incident, a 27-year-old Penal woman survived a knife attack by a former lover weeks after breaking off a seven-year relationship with the man.

Crystal Noel was still warded at the San Fernando General Hospital (SFGH) where she was being treated for wounds to her neck, back and head, yesterday, but doctors said none of her injuries was life threatening. According to a police report, the woman was at her home off the Penal Rock Road when the 25-year-old suspect entered and started an argument over their breakup. Police said at some stage the man took up a kitchen knife and stabbed Noel several times before running off.

Noel was taken to the Penal Police Station by a relative and officers rushed her the Siparia District Health Facility where she was attended to and then transferred to the SFGH. The suspect is yet to be arrested. PC Khalil of the Penal CID is investigating. —Jensen Lavende and Kevon Felmine


User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment writer and are not representative of Guardian Media Limited or its staff.

Guardian Media Limited accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.

Guardian Media Limited reserves the right to remove, to edit or to censor any comments.

Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will be removed.

Before posting, please refer to the Community Standards, Terms and conditions and Privacy Policy

User profiles registered through fake social media accounts may be deleted without notice.